Best and Worst Drinks for Your Child’s Teeth Revealed by Our Dentist in Pasadena Texas
The worst drinks for your child’s teeth all have sugars or acids, and quite often, both. Sugars mix with food debris and stick to the surface of teeth. That sticky thin film attracts bacteria that feeds on those carbs and sugars, generating acids that damage young teeth. With that in mind, let’s look at the following common beverages.
- Soda. Soda’s a bad choice for two reasons: sugar and acids. Even diet sodas contain phosphoric acid that can etch and soften the tooth surface. As a rule, avoid all beverages the list “high fructose corn syrup” as an ingredient. Many sodas also contain phosphoric acid, which damages teeth.
- Sports drinks. As above, sugars break down into acids that harm teeth and promote cavities. Although some sports beverages have some nutrients, the harm from all the sugar is too much.
- Veggie drinks. Vegetable juices are beginning to catch on as nutrient-dense refreshing drinks. Make sure they’re not fortified with extra sugars and watch the sodium content for general health.
- Fruit juices. These can be a mixed bag. We pediatric dentists in Pasadena recommend you look closely at the sugar content on the label. Sugars in fruit drinks are all-natural, but they can still be way too high and do as much damage as a soda. The take-away? Read the label closely and compare it to soda, veggie drinks, and of course, our two faves: milk and water.
- Milk is nutrient dense and rich in the essential substances required for a lifetime of healthy teeth. Calcium and vitamin D regulate bone growth. Together, they help form the matrix of healthy strong teeth.
- Water. You can’t go wrong with plain water. Many communities fluoridate their water supplies. In any event, plain water hydrates the body and washes away particles of food debris that stick to teeth. You can flavor it with any of the sugar-free, acidless powders on the market, or just go with fresh clean water.
Looking for a pediatric dentist in Pasadena, Texas? Visit us at Xmile Orthodontics!